Friday, July 16, 2010

A short update

I rode from my hotel in Fish Creek through Yoosemite. It took about 2 hours to get to the park entrance, a long part of the ride in a valley along the Meyer River. I stoppped at a number of palces to take pictures, some of which I will try to post tonight. The crossing through the park which is some 70 miles or so was on some of the best road I've encountered in parks thusfar, took another three hours. Again there are a many many places where one is tempted to stop to view the scenery; I resisted for the most part. There were a lot of people in Yosemite but the place is so big that you're never in a crowd and the traffic moves very well. There are many turnouts where slower traffic can pul over to let faster moving vehicles to pass and they generally do.

Once out of the Park I turned south headed for Death Valley and as I rode I could feel, and see on the themostat in the instrument cluster of my bike, that the temperature was steadily climbing. It reached a high of 43.5 degrees just as I arrived at Bishop. As it was already 4:30 and there being still more than 2 hours to get into the Valley itself I decided to stop here for the night. I found a nice, clean but old (60's?) motel and got a room. This early arrival gave me time for a dip in the motel pool (refreshing at 75 degrees - they must have a chiller), a beer at the local bowling alley (cold and delicious), and a dinner (chicken wings and shrimp with mixed vegetables in a light garlic souce) in a good chinese restaurant.

Today I'm off to Death Valley and points east.

No comments:

Post a Comment