Monday, July 12, 2010

Redwood National Park and Highway 1

The view of the coast looking North as one emerges from the northermost twisty forest bit of Highway 1.


Big bear and cub carved from redwood at Trees of Mystery tourist attraction. Relatives, Phil?



Cathedral Trees at Trees of Mystery. There's an actual small alter at which many weddings are held every year.


Self-picture of moi, and a big tree.



Greeters at Trees of Mystery. You'll recognize Paul Bunyan and his pet bull Babe.


Left the Hampton at around 10:00 after a stroll on the shore behind the hotel and the complimentary hot breakfast. The weather was cool, around 16 degrees. I soon entered Redwood National Park. The trees are giants!!

I stopped at the tourist attraction, The Trees of Mystery which is on Highway 101 just north of Klamath. The walk through the woods with particularly interesting growths named is about 1 kilometre long and very interesting.
Highway 101 is very odd. There are sections of divided four-lane superhighway which are immediately followed by narrow, windy, barely 24 foot-wide two-lane rough asphalt roads bordered on each side by huge trees, where the posted speed limit for some of the curves is 15 to 20 mph. Fortunately these slower sections are well announced so there's no screeching of tires or tire marks on the pavement.
I stopped for lunch in a café in the City of Eureka where a guy on a horn and another on an electronic keyboard played some nice jazz pieces as I ate my seafood salad.
I then rode down 101 to Leggett where I veered left onto Highway 1. Now that's a TWISTY road!!! There's no such thing as a straight bit; sharp rights and lefts and hairpins in both directions (well not at the same time, but in quick succession). There was very little traffic on this 44 mile piece of road that first is deep in the forest and then hugs the coast. I must say that one sees a lot of the road but little of the vistas because of the continously undulating serpentine nature of the road.
I arrived at Fort Bragg and was able to easily find a room for the night at the Beachcomber Motel which is right on the beach just north of town. Since this is a Bell cellphone signal-free zone I called Jane using my notebook and Skype. The quality was very good and the cost is cheap; an excellent back-up system as most motels have wifi for free.
I've programmed a route for today which will take me inland to Napa and Sonoma. I'll raise a glass to all of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment