Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Back on the road after Vancouver

Approaching the dock in Nanaimo
Jane, Cam(eron) and Jake before I left Vancouver this morning.

A heron just next to the seawall in Stanley Park.


An arrangement of totem poles in Stanley Park



This one if for Gerry Maffre and Gisèle because they will both of course recognize the Canada Place Convention Centre in Vancouver.




Well dear readers,

I'm back on the road after three glorious days in Vancouver with Jane. We were able to visit, and have drinks and dinner with family. The dinner was at a wonderful seafood place in West Vancouver. We also visited Granville Island, including the great market there and the Vancoouver Art gallery where there was an exhibit of prints all on the theme of women in art. Yesterday Jane and I walked the seawall around Stanley Park; what a treat such amazing views. And for our last dinner in Vancouver we were joined by our dear friends Bob and Sue Evans and Kim and her husband Chris.

After dropping off Jane at Kim's i retrieved my motorcycle from one of her friends garage and headed out to the ferry to Nanaimo at Horseshoe Bay. The 90 minute crossing was under a hot sun. I met a biker from Vancouver who was out for a couple of days on his 1979 750 Moto Guzi. We talked about bikes and trips while waiting to board the ferry. As it turns out he is originally from Port Elgin in Ontario and his spouse is from Aylmer Quebec. We wished each other safe travels as we left the ferry in Nanaimo. Rather than take the fast route to Victoria, I meandered on side roads and drove through small towns like Chemainus, where I stopped for lunch. I arrived at my hotel, the James Bay Inn at around four, annd after a quick shower I went out for a long walk on the shore trail, from Mile 0 back all the way to the inner harbour of Victoria accross from the Empress Hotel. It was another great day!

Tomorrow I take the ferry from here to Port Angeles where I will beging the 'American' part of this journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment