Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Palo Alto to Yosemite


Veil Falls in Yosemite
Looking down from Tunnel Observation point in Yosemite,





Sorry, I got in the way of the view.



Some of the winding road leading to Yosemite.




If you look real close you'll make out a couple of horse in this field in the foothills of the Sierra Nevada mountain range.
From the freeways getting out of San Fransisco I rode inland accross the Sierra Nevada mountains into Yosemite National Park. Even the ride on the freeways was better than I had expected; fast, but with interesting things to see. I got off the interstae at Turlock where I had lunch in a sandwich place and then rode through nut and fruit growing country. While stopped at a fruit stand where I bought some locally grown produce, I saw two tractor trailers with huge bins of loose freshly harvested tomotoes heading for what I would discover later was a Hunts factory in Oadale. The temperature was hot, reaching as high as 38.5 degrees in Sonora where I stopped for fuel and water. Yosemite is amazing and the state of the infrastructure, the roads and the lookouts speak to the fact that doubtless millions of people visit this site every year. The natural displays are breathtaking. I stopped numerous times just to take in the views of the mountains, the valleys, and the rivers.

Tonight I'm staying at the swish Tenaya Lodge at Yosemite. It's so tony that they can and do charge you an extra $10 for internet access, something that even the cheapest places I've stayed in offer free! But it,s very nice.
Who knows what adventures tomorrow will bring.

No comments:

Post a Comment