Tuesday, July 2, 2024

I wave to my brother Gilles

 On Saturday June 22, I arrived home from Granby, and then Jane and I drove to Sudbury in the Tesla.  My older brother Gilles was in intensive care where I and my younger brother Jean-Yves would see him the next morning. He was sedated and intubated. When he came to he opened his eyes and saw us; he squeezed my hand and with tears in his eyes gave us and the nurse a thumbs up. After a few moments he closed his eyes and fell back asleep. It was the last time I saw him alive.  

We had dinner at Jean-Yves and Candace’s home with Eva, Gilles wife of 54 years on Sunday and drove back to Orléans on Monday. Gilles passed away at around 5:40 pm on Tuesday, June 25, 2024; he was 79 years old. I miss him, but I have many memories to remind me of him; they make me smile.

Many friends and family members have reached out to express their condolences; I am grateful for their thoughtfulness. A very dear friend, Ken, and his wife Kathleen sent us this beautiful arrangement of flowers.

 



I was not sure if I would or could restart this year’s ride. I decided to do so but not along the route through New England. Instead I would do an in memoriam of Gilles ride around Lake Superior; me on my bike with thoughts of Gilles. In my next post I will share some details and pictures of this ride.

Take care!


No comments:

Post a Comment